An Eco-Friendly Chicago Hotel
We're Committed to Being Green
The InterContinental Chicago Magnificent Mile is continuously improving our environmental performance through the development and sharing of best practices, training and recognition of excellence. In addition to utilizing technology to conserve energy as well as reducing and recycling the waste we produce, the property is committed to promoting effective environmental management to our key vendors and contractors. We are mindful of purchasing local products and eco-friendly products when available to reduce carbon emissions. Below are current examples of our green initiatives in action:
- Hotel has recycling plan in place that monitors the amount of waste going to a landfill
- Hotel has battery, used PC and bulb recycling program that is also available to our employee and guests
Energy & Resource Management
- LED light bulbs have been installed in 90% guestrooms and 100% meeting spaces & corridors.
- Hotel has a towel and sheet re-use program
- Replaced two main burners with high efficiency, 7-15% reduction in gas usage.
- A water displacement device is installed in all guest room toilets to reduce water consumption
- Low flow aerators are installed in all sinks to reduce water consumption
- Complimentary vehicle charging stations in parking garage
- Soap, shampoo/conditioner, and lotion dispensers installed in Fitness Center.
- Hotel uses cloth napkins whenever possible
- Coreless toilet paper rolls are in all public washrooms to reduce paper waste
- Hotel uses low VOC paints and products & all cleaning products and chemicals are Green Seal Certified
Education & Community
- Hotel has “green meeting” and “green wedding” options available for event planners
- Culinary team purchases locally grown organic products when available
- A Green Resource Employee Action Team has been established to educate and empower hotel employees to actively participate in our green initiatives
Recent Green Accolades
- First Chicago hotel to receive Energy Star rating (2008-present)
- StayGreen recognition from Illinois Hotel & Lodging Association (2009-present)
Download our Energy Green Initiatives here.
In an effort to enable diners in Chicago to easily identify and support restaurants, caterers and other food service operations that have achieved a markedly high level of environmental responsibility, Green Seal has created a list including:
445 N. Clark St.
Chicago, IL 60654
7001 N. Ridgeway Ave
Lincolnwood, IL 60712
Our cultural institutions aim to bring sustainability to Chicago and have become the role model in eco-friendly practices thanks to the Green Museums Initiative. In 2005, a network of institutions banded to make their buildings more sustainable. They went forward introducing initiatives that were environmentally friendly and help to increase outreach as it pertains to green education.
Museums in Chicago that are at the forefront of eco-conscious practices include:
Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum (recipient of Overall Achievement Award for integrating environmentally-friendly principles into all operational aspects)
Shedd Aquarium (recipient of Leadership Award for exemplary commitment to environmental innovation)
Bicycle share program offers an eco-friendly and affordable option to exploring the city.