About Our Luxury Hotel in Chicago

A Chicago Legend Since 1929

The preeminent luxury hotel in Chicago wasn’t always a hotel. Built in 1929 as the exclusive Medinah Athletic Club, the opulent building at 505 North Michigan Avenue was constructed with larger-than-life architectural details: a bronze doorway, marble columns, a grand staircase, cast-bronze friezes, and a painted ceiling featuring Celtic and Mesopotamian motifs of lions, fish, eagles, and the Assyrian bull — evoking the highest natural powers.

In 1988, a quarter-billion-dollar transformation took the property and turned it into InterContinental Chicago, one of the city’s most luxurious Magnificent Mile hotels. Using the Medinah Athletic Club’s 1930 yearbook, The Scimitar, rooms were replicated down to the smallest of details, from the draperies to the carpets and the restoration of murals.

Eight decades after opening, InterContinental Chicago maintains the grandeur of the Roaring Twenties. The hotel’s expansive conference halls feature two original marble lions, Spanish Majolica tiles, and a terra-cotta fountain. And while the Medinah Athletic Club’s original facilities were removed, one important feature remains — a massive junior-size Olympic swimming pool on the 14th floor.

Since our doors opened 30 years ago, we’ve been the recipient of numerous architectural and design awards, and our guests have included international dignitaries, politicians, and celebrities. A member of the Historic Hotels of America®, the official program of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, we’re recognized and celebrated as one of the finest historic hotels in America.

Content Logo